I adapted this recipe from one of Jennifer Eloff's recipes. They remind me of mini biscuits, but not quite as dense as a biscuit. These taste great reheated in a toaster oven. Here is my spin on the recipe.
- 2 cups of grated Mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/4 cups Gluten-Free Bake Mix 2 (click for bake mix recipe)
- 6+ heaping Tbsps. of grated Peccorino Romano cheese
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup cooked ground Italian Sausage (I use Premio brand)
- 1/4 cup chopped and cooked Vidallia onion (sweet onion)
- 1/4 cup water & 1/4 cup half and half
- 1 egg (extra large) lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 400°. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine Mozzarella, Bake Mix, Peccorino Romano cheese, and baking powder.
You could cook your ground sausage and onions ahead of time and freeze in individual freezer bags for future use. This is what I do to save time. Make sure to defrost the one you are using so that it's ready to add to recipe.
Add the cooked ground sausage and cooked onion to the dry ingredients.
In a small bowl, beat the egg with the water and half & half. Add this to the cheese mixture (the larger bowl). Combine well.
Measure 1 heaping teaspoon out onto the parchment-lined cookie sheets. I actually roll mine into balls. I get 34 pieces (17 on each sheet).
Bake 20 minutes, or until lightly golden on top and crispy underneath. Mine baked up quickly, as you can see in the finished photo.
I store mine in the refrigerator and reheat them in a toaster oven. Yummy!
Servings: 34 (or more if smaller)
Approximate carb count is 1.8g net carbs per serving (based on 34 count)