Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Rustic Apple Pie - Medium Carb Count


If 10.5g net carbs per serving sounds like a lot to you, then this recipe isn't for you. Since I've started walking in the mornings after breakfast, I'm finding that I can handle slightly higher carbs. I also walk in place after lunch and dinner for 10 minutes. It helps to play some music when I do this, and before you know it I find myself dancing! My doctor changed one of my oral diabetic pills to Invokana around 5 months ago. This might also be contributing to my constant lower fasting glucose. I range from 90 to 130 in the mornings before breakfast, and I don't really test at other times of the day, unless I feel a little off. Right now I'm really happy that I've been able to be adding some more carbs, but I don't go overboard!
I have to do some more research on what fruits have lower carbs, so that I can make more pies!!
Anyway, since the crust I use bakes up quickly in the oven, I had to cook my apple filling on the stove top. I'm really happy with the taste of this one. The slices come out smaller than a standard pie, so next time I may make the crust in a pie pan, and add the cooked apples when the crust is almost done. The amount of carbs would stay the same, but the slices would be bigger!

APPLE FILLING:
  • 3 small Granny Smith apples
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1 1/2 tsp Swerve Granulated sweetener or granulated erythritol
  • 3 drops of EZ- Sweetz Liquid Sucralose
  • 3/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • Pinch of ground nutmeg
COOKING DIRECTIONS:
Core and slice apples into 1/2 inch thick slices. Place slices in a bowl and pour lemon juice over apples and mix to coat well. Set them aside.
In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Stir in sweeteners and extract. Add apple slices, turning to coat with mixture. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.
Cover and cook until apple slices are soft, about 2 to 3 minutes. Test one of the slices at 2 minutes, if it still has a little crunch to it, cook a little longer since the time in the oven is minimal.
Remove from the heat and let it cool completely before adding to your unbaked pie crust at Step #8 below in the Directions!


PIE CRUST:
  • 1 cup blanched almond flour (Honeyville)
  • 1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Flour
  • 2 Tbsp Swerve granulated sweetener or granulated erythritol
  • 1 tsp guar or xanthan gum
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup butter, well-chilled and cut into small chunks
  • 2 to 4 Tbsp ice water
Directions:
1.     Preheat oven to 350°F.
2.     For the crust, combine almond flour, GF all purpose flour, Swerve, xanthan gum, and salt, in a food processor. Pulse to combine.
3.     Sprinkle butter in, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4.     With processor running on low, add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough begins to clump together. 2 Tbs worked for me.
5.     Cover work surface with a large sheet of parchment paper and sprinkle with almond flour. Turn out dough and form into a square (or disk for a pie).
6.     Sprinkle with additional almond flour and top with another piece of parchment, then carefully roll out in all directions to form a 10 to 11 inch circle.
7.     Poke some holes in the bottom of crust with a fork.
8.     Add the cooled apple filling and carefully fold up the edges as shown in the photo.
9.     Bake 20 to 25 minutes, so that the top browns, but watch the bottom doesn't burn! Cool on rack when done.

Optional: A bit of whipped cream on top is heavenly. I store my leftover pie in the refrigerator. When I'm ready to serve, I put a slice in the microwave, covered, for 15 seconds to warm it up, then top with a sprinkle of Confectioner's Swerve and some whipped cream. Oh Boy it's good!

Notes:
Total carbs for entire recipe is 84.3g net carbs. If slicing into 8ths, per serving is 10.5g net carbs.



To print this recipe, follow the instructions on my sidebar and go to Print Friendly!

1 comment:

  1. This looks mighty tasty! I will have to try it. I really need to get all the ingredients for the crust first.

    Love
    your sister Pattie ♥

    ReplyDelete